View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:01 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You’re not wrong, it probably will look like a highway structure but a bit narrower. There is a similar structure on the Orange Line at 18th St. The only realistic way (cost-wise) to avoid that appearance is to build an open deck structure like the old-school L structures or like the new Pink Line structure. Unfortunately this would probably create too much noise in the surrounding area, both low frequency vibrations and high frequency screeching, so it would fail Environmental Impact.

I’m not too concerned about it honestly. CTA can still do a decorative treatment on the concrete supports so they look fine from a pedestrian level, and most of the structure will be hidden from view once the Clark St sites get infilled.
The Orange Line at 18th isn't a terrible comparison, but let's not forget that the Orange Line is dual tracks, while the Brown Line bypass is for a single track. So, taking the sides into consideration, the Brown Line bypass should be about 1/3 narrower. There have also been advancements in concrete and steel since 1993, so it's possible it's even more improved than just being half as many tracks.

EDIT: Actually, here you can see each if the two halves of the Orange Line before they're joined - I'd say that the scale of one of these is the absolute worst case for the Brown Line bypass.

Orange Line @ 18th Street
[/SIZE]