View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:08 PM

Only $5 million, though??? This is an interesting topic as I just got back from a week in Southern California. . . that's my second trip there of this year alone. . . everyone keeps asking if I'm planning on moving out there, but it's pretty unrealistic given the costs. . . however:

I've been living in Chicago since 1992 and been in Chicagoland my entire life essentially - with my folks up in Kenosha and my sister/family in Skokie. . . have friends still here in the city. . . work is here. . . but:

Recently I've been having an existential crisis after realizing that I've lived here in the city for 30 years and coming out of the covid lockdowns has really changed a lot of people - myself included - having lost a lot of close family-adjacent due to old age/cancer/death and a complicated long-term relationship slowly undoing itself - I've been seriously thinking about what the fuck I'm going to do with the little time I have left on this planet. . .

I've always wanted to live in Germany (my mother is from there) and although I travel there every couple years, it doesn't seem like it's enough. . . I feel like I could do better for myself if I immersed in the lifestyle, but it's more of a long term goal perhaps. . .

I've also thought about retiring in Mexico as it's much more affordable - downright cheap, in fact - relatively safe compared to the U.S. and the people are a a billion times more friendly and empathetic from a cultural standpoint. . . though this too is more of a long term goal perhaps. . .

Then I think that if money were no object I would just move to L.A. and settle into a beach community like Laguna Beach and just enjoy my days walking around taking in the beautiful weather. . . but then that would get old and essentially be like living in a place like Lake Geneva, WI where you would eventually get tired of the same old shops and restaurants. . . finally L.A. is too far from Europe to make travel convenient. . . Southern California is a giant secluded bubble unto itself surrounded by desert and ocean which might just get too boring. . . So with only $5 million to spend on this fantasy:

I'd probably upgrade my living situation into a larger condo, probably in the same Lakeshore East neighborhood here in Chicago with at least two bedrooms. . . after all, O'hare is the most connected airport on the planet and I can get to every continent on Earth just by hailing a cab and hopping on an international flight. . .

Well that was a fun game. . . now back to work. . .

. . .