View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:42 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

L Train Gets The Best Marks In Annual Straphanger Report

July 29, 2008

The L train got top marks while the W train was rated the worst in the Straphangers Campaign's annual report, released Tuesday.

While the L was rated the third most crowded line at rush hour by the New York Public Interest Group's transit advocacy group, it won high marks on every other performance measure, ranking close to the top in car cleanliness, and scoring the best of any line in clear announcements and trains arriving on schedule.

Most riders on the L train agreed that the cars were clean and the service dependable.

"It's a pretty good train," said one rider. "It's reliable, and it comes frequently, and it's clean."

"It is very clean," agreed another.

"It's very clean. It's always on time," said a third. "If there is a delay, they let you know in advance. Yeah, in my opinion it's the best."

Riders also said they liked the next-train arrival information.

"I wish every subway line would have it," said a passenger. "Sometimes when I'm waiting, I don't know if I'm waiting one minute, or a half hour. Should I take a cab? Should I take the bus? The L train is the only train that tells you when the next train is coming."

Rounding out the top five are the Number 7 train, the Q train, and, in a tie for fourth place, the Number 1 train and the Number 6 line.

Late last year, the L train and the 7 became the first lines in the system to undergo a management restructuring. Transit officials put a general manager in charge of each line, with the authority and the independence to cut through bureaucratic red tape and fix problems as they see fit.

So far, the Straphangers Campaign says the program seems to be working.

"Having an actual human being in charge whose name you know, and who's accountable, and has more authority for improving the quality of service makes a lot of sense," said Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign.

As for the worst train, that would be the W, just edging out the M train.

"I live at the end of the W line, and it does seem to take a while to come and go," said a rider.

In fact, the W has the most infrequent service in the system, running trains ten minutes apart – even at rush hour.

As for the system overall, the report finds a drop in some levels of performance. For instance, subway cars are breaking down more frequently, and the percentage of clear announcements was also down, all of which is not encouraging news at a time when fares are headed up.

- Bobby Cuza

Meanwhile, Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind expressed Tuesday his discontent over the condition of subway stations and the city's transit agency.

Hikind announced in Borough Park that his office surveyed nearly 100 subway stations and found dangerous conditions in more than half of them.

He claims a 14-year-old fell off the platform after the rotted wooden board gave way, another teen had his shoe slip between the train and the platform and a woman in her car was hit by a piece of rail track that fell from an elevated train.

Hikind says the MTA is at fault, and riders should get their two dollars’ worth before another proposed fare hike is put into place.

"Who the hell is in charge, who is responsible, how can this go on even for another day?” said Hikind. “This has nothing to do with budget situations. This is about plywood, hammers, nails, carpenters."

MTA officials say they take the safety of their customers seriously and are committed to addressing all poor conditions by December.