View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 7:36 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UChicagoDomer View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't there used to be FOUR entrances/exits for the Grand Ave. Red Line Station? Did one just become swallowed up by Rock Bottom's parking lot before our very eyes?

And does it seem to anyone else that the street surface has become substantially wider while the sidewalk surface has substantially decreased east and west along Grand Ave. from the Michigan Avenue overpass west to LaSalle?

If this was the trade off to improve the Grand Avenue station, it wasn't worth it.
I was wondering the same thing! I thought I was crazy!

They've paved right over the southwest entrace to the Grand Ave Red Line in front of Rock Bottom. I use to always wander out of Rock Bottom and right down into the subway, but when I walked by yesterday going to the train I was shocked to see no trace of the entrance.

They tore out the entrace and on top of that made the sidewalk even more narrow than it already was. The parking lane of the street use to end a half a block up and there was an extra wide sidewalk with the station entrance.

They have the north side of the street tore up now - and I have a feeling they'll do the same thing to that side. Or else they'll make that the elevator entrance like they did to the southwest corner of Chicago and State. That use to be an entrance to the red line as well - but now it's just the elevator.

It really pissed me off that when you're coming east on Grand you have to now walk all the way across the street and another 80 feet past to the existing entrance to come in from the opposite side.

Why!? So there's another turning lane on Grand?