View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The only problem I have with this proposal is that it won't have the seating capacity to host a televised event like a figure skating nationals, or a comparable event. If they could design and engineer the rink structures to maximize seating, maybe up to 9 or 10,000, and make the rink size and position as flexible as possible they maybe could host high profile skating events in the Bronx. That really would be cool to have televised ice shows coming from the Bronx.
It would be cool, but there's no need. There are already five arenas in the area that can host professional ice events (Garden, Barclays, Nassau, Izod, Prudential). The reason this proposal makes so much sense is because there aren't enough rinks in the NYC area. People living in Manhattan have to do league matches at 3 AM in Chelsea Piers, or drive 40 miles out to somewhere in Jersey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm also a bit disappointed no one proposed a velodrome. Oh well, I hope this succeeds and it's top notch quality. That first rendering looks amazing, like Richard Meier is involved or something.
There's a very large velodrome that will be built in the new Brooklyn Bridge Park. Some very rich guy is paying for the whole thing.