View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
There should absolutely be retail on the Walnut Street side, and maybe even along 40th Street too. There are plenty of quiet, Ivy League spaces elsewhere on campus. Penn needs to continue reactivating its borders with the city around it, instead of building any more dead all-institutional streetscapes.

I am sure there is a way to put retail facing out, and a fully separated dorm behind and above with entrances off of Locust.

(Penn grad here as well, if we're all flashing credentials )
Fortunately, there's a great diversity of backgrounds, opinions, and beliefs among Penn grads in general. And I understand your position. But since the Rodin/Fry administration of the 1990s, Penn has successfully been activating its borders with the city without turning the ground floors of core undergraduate academic or residential buildings over to retail. And again, please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I don't believe that any of Penn's top urban peers (the other urban Ivies, Chicago, Georgetown, etc.) have any significant retail presence in the ground floors of core undergraduate academic or residential buildings. But as I said to summers, this is something on which we can agree to disagree.