View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 10:18 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
WFH will remain, but people will still want/need to move about the city. Lets not forget that the vast majority of jobs cannot be done at home. Transit will always be needed, because if everyone in Chicago started driving cars it would turn every thoroughfare into a jammed parking lot. There literally isn't enough room to park all the cars if every adult in the city decided to own one.

Defunding transit would be incredibly short sited, especially since we need to build now for higher commuter volumes in the future. New capacity does not come online right away. It would be as silly as stopping the O'Hare Modernization Project in 2009 because airline customer volume collapsed in the wake of the Great Recession.
^ I don't favor cutting funds to transit, I just don't believe that expanding the rail system makes any sense. Like I said, an infill station or two could be justified, but otherwise no way. Not enough ridership, not practical enough, not well connected enough. Addressing land use and connectivity are FAR more important than adding a few extra miles of track down into a far flung area of the city at the cost of billions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q