View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Non-Boston New England seems wildly underrated.

I used to consider moving to California pre-pandemic when I was working there but more and more New England looks like a winner…sans Lyme disease which appears to be rampant there (and northern midwest) compared to the low midwest/south.
Numerous family members on both sides have had Lyme disease, from Maine to Rhode Island. One of my cousins is still dealing with the ramifications 10 years down the line. If you have outdoor pets, it's something you have to be aware of. But it's only an issue for about 3-4 months of the year. It's worse in Southeastern Mass, Rhode Island, and coastal Connecticut than it is north of Boston.

And yes, New England outside Boston is underrated. I already mentioned Providence, but you should also check out Portland. As much as Providence punches above its weight, Portland does so even more. Portsmouth feels like a boutique slice of Boston or Portland, but in no-income-tax, no-sales-tax New Hampshire. Seriously, you could do what a third of working New Hampshirites do and make your money in Massachusetts while Living Free and Not Dying in New Hampshire.

Like MA but don't want Boston prices? Worcester is booming. Like the feel of MA but just can't find it in you to like the people? Hurtful, but understandable: you'll love any of the Connecticut River Valley towns in CT. Just like suburban Boston, but with docile and agreeable Connecticuters instead of abrasive Massholes. If this is you though, I suggest avoiding New Hampshire: they're on the whole more Masshole-ish than Bay Staters.

Vermont feels both quintessentially New England while also being somewhat set apart. There's no coastline, there's less Irish/Italian cultural influence and more French for obvious reasons, and the accent is different. And I mean, there's less people in Vermont than in Boston's 48 sq mile city limits. That comes with pluses and minuses. I think one of New England's best selling points is having lots of small but urban cities very close to unspoiled nature, especially coastline. You can enjoy Big City and Big Nature easily. You don't get these options in Vermont. (Big caveat: I'm a rare native New Englander who doesn't ski or board, so take my views of Vermont and NH with a grain of salt).