View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Senator Gianaris indicated he might support an N/W branch (not extension) down Grand Central Parkway into the airport, which is big since he led the opposition the last time a subway extension was proposed. Branching the line is not ideal operationally and will constrain the frequency to LGA or Ditmars, but it's better than the AirTrain plan. Maybe it can operate on shuttle mode during rush hours from Astoria Blvd to the airport, and off-peak it could function as a one-seat ride to Manhattan/Brooklyn.

I assume it would be a concrete viaduct down the median of Grand Central Parkway like the JFK Airtrain on the Van Wyck, but it would have to dive underground or squeeze in at-grade near the Bulova building because of the RPZ on Runway 04/22.
I believe this was a considered routing of the AirTrain and the "community" had concerns about it impacting the "scenic nature" of the GCP...and I wish that was a joke. Though the terminal configuration at Ditmars constrains capacity already on the N/W so you might not actually loose any service if you did this depending on what kind of headways are desired out of the LGA branch. The Broadway line should be able to absorb the service, especially if CBTC is installed.