View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
So, Winnipeg is a bit larger, population growing a bit faster than Quebec city. Can we not find the will & investors to pull off something similar here? We need to show the world who we are. There must be some investors willing to do this here.
https://globalnews.ca/news/1837013/q...Dallaire%20Inc 65 floor tower surrounded by several about 1/2 that height. Yes, TNS is fine but we need something like this next.
I currently live in the Paris area, and can confirm that the world could not care less. And putting aside the fact that it is apparently an old proposal, I actually do not see why a tower like that would show what the city is. I guess I am in the height does not necessarily make right camp.

WPG should focus on its public realm – street level – and the things that make it unique, including its priceless urban forest which most of the big, world-leading cities do not have. Also, whenever I have shown images like the makeover of the Forks site, the CMHR, and now there will be the Inuit Art Centre, etc., to people here or in other places, that is what has impressed them the most. There is a lot of beauty in a place like WPG, but it is different than that found in other cities. If Paris wanted, it could surely have 50 gleaming towers intramuros proposed and financed in short order, but it has other priorities.

Personally speaking, I feel like sprinkling the kind of infill mini-midrise proposal shown below throughout WPG (and other Canadian urban centres) as much as possible would have way more positive impact in a tangible sense than some pie-in-the-sky tower surrounded by windswept, barren concrete. It would presumably be much more doable as well. In the meantime, if someone came along with a nice tower project, great. Wawanesa, TNS, etc., look very nice, although the new tallest seems very mediocre and that other proposal was awful.

- https://twitter.com/naama_blonder/st...269697/photo/1