View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I think the real problem is the infrastructure. Are you really going to dig a 300 mile long tunnel or god forbid, build any kind of elevated structure whatsoever, in this country?

I once had this idea of the "vac-train" thing using much smaller vehicles that run in something that is more like a pipeline that the chunnel. It would just go in a trench. Even then, if it is going really fast it must be precisely engineered and I imagine they would still have to tunnel through hills and the like.
Build the tunnels above ground, except when mountains get in the way. Doing so would eliminate the added costs of tunneling, and, reduce the mass of the 'tunnel like enclosure.' In most cases, simply build the tunnel enclosure at or near ground level. For bridges, etc., super-elevate the tunnel enclosure.

Might not be the most pretty thing to look at, but, a 6 inch thick reinforced concrete circular section 8 to 10 meters in diameter at ground surface might be as cheap per kilometer as a two line freeway 8" or 10" slab for the same distance.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf