View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
One Vanderbilt will always be a compliment to the Chrysler and the Empire State buildings, never a rival to them. It will be that third 'pointy building' near the other two. And this new building even if taller will always be overshadowed and be that 'building next door to the Chrysler'.
Vanderbilt isn't a rival right now, but I believe when it's built, and the tower becomes familiar enough due to its unique crown and spire, it will be among the towers that stand out, especially when it's lit at night, and becomes a destination of its own due to the observation deck. Being so close to the Chrysler will only increase that, as it will probably be in virtually every photo of the Chrysler.

The Grand Hyatt tower will be between the two, and has to find some sort of balance among the three. If it's too similar in height to Vanderbilt, the two towers will have some sort of paternal twin relationship. I think it needs to be higher than Vanderbilt, and if it has a crown that is lit up, that crown shouldn't be lit until it's at least above the crown of Vanderbilt. They may come out with something that we may not think would work, but when we see the design may change our minds.

I'm looking forward to it, and this is already one of the new towers I'm most excited about.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.