Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 10:39 AM

Fantastic selection!

SD_Phil, I love that badass scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
err... ColOmbian
Oops! I was posting late - that's my only excuse

I think we can now assemble some of the elements of ecclesiastical badassery:

1. Outrageously unusual form Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles (the one that started this whole conversation) Colorado Springs Precious Blood, Winnipeg Mole Antonelliana St Mary's Tokyo Unity Temple Stave Churches Chapelle Notre-Dame-du-Haut

2. Spires as sharp as needles Liverpool LDS Temple, San Diego Sweetest Heart of Mary St Louis Cathedral Oakland California Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Mormon temples in Portland and Las Vegas St Patrick's, New York

3. Flagrantly minimalist fenestration MIT Chapel Church of the Light Donau City Church

4. Flagrant maximisation of fenestration Brasilia Sainte-Chapelle Crystal Cathedral

5. Overwhelming mass/soarSt Josaphat Hagia Sophia Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Atlanta St Louis Cathedral

6. Insane location Las Lajas Temppeliaukio Church in Helsinki

7. Outrageously creative lighting Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland, CA Madonna Della Strada Chapel MIT Chapel Church of the Light

8. Overwhelming, arresting and/or macabre decoration sedlec ossuary Sagrada Família St Peter's, Chicago São Francisco Ordem Terceira Church National Cathedral (Darth) St George Cathedral, Limburg The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg St Joseph, Chicago Chiesa di San Gennaro

9. Link to badass historical figure St Basil's

10. Ivy, to a ridiculous extent. "Hairy Church"

11. Badass colour/texture 19th Street Baptist Church

12. Any church whose name contains the word 'blood' The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg Precious Blood, Winnipeg

13. Waterfalls LDS (Mormon) Conference Center

14. Battle scared and mean-looking Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

13. Bruce Goff funk-tacularity St. John Brebuef Church in Niles, IL

14. Gas station in crypt