View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
eminent domain is a slippery slope in this case. It should only be used for redevelopment when it comes to stubborn landlords and tenants refusing to improve condemned/dangerous structures, not to acquire extra funding for a state agenda.
Which is exactly what MSG is, and stands in the way of getting anything done. This is not the use of eminent domain to tear up blocks of homes of private citizens. Penn Station is vital to New York, and if it comes to eminent domain to get things done, then that's what you do. I don't see a slippery slope here. In fact, Cuomo's proposed district is pretty small in scope. The block south of MSG is a virtually barren wasteland of parking lots.

There is only one building there I would even consider saving, provided it was cleaned up. To me it's a piece of the original Penn Station, something I never got to see. Every time I walk by it, I imagine it as a slice of that great station.

https://www.loc.gov/item/ny1785/

Pennsylvania Station, New York Terminal Service Plant, 250 West Thirty-first Street

Quote:
The New York Terminal Service Plant was constructed as an integral component of the original Pennsylvania Station complex and served as a power generation and control center for the station, its tracks and signal systems. the facade was designed by McKim Mead & White to complement the exterior of the Pennsylvania Station. While much of the original service equipment has been dismantled or abandoned, some of the original power distribution equipment is still in use and a significant portion of the interior remains intact. The building has been determined National Register eligible by the New York State Historic Preservation Office.

https://www.amny.com/transit/penn-st...den-1.11053839

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.