View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 6:48 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I don't know how these stats measure up to most cities, but an article recently came out showing foot traffic downtown Portland is up 65% from a year ago. Of course last year wasn't all that great. But I was downtown today briefly and despite all the closed stores (and smoky skies from wildfires) it seemed as busy as anytime before covid. The cell phone study also measured a very small area, leaving out the pearl, university district and cultural districts, as well so Old Town. I doubt Old Town is seeing much traffic but if that includes Saturday Market, that's a huge tourist draw also left out of that study. Nonetheless, Portland and other west coast cities have a ways to go to get things back in order to a point where businesses and people want to locate in the city center at a healthy clip again. I have faith!
Portland should just just offer tax incentives to companies that renew their downtown leases or bring back employees. Also companies should give in office employees raises! Im not even joking. Yeah downtown proper seems to be picking up steam. Its pretty busy around the sq. and the pearl is looking pretty good. I was downtown a couple times this weekend. Went out to eat on 23rd Saturday and just took a bike ride Sunday around the west side. Do you live downtown? Did you see that lightening??