View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2023, 1:01 AM

I think the water has found its level for the most part at this point. with people coming into the office half as much (if that), we see most major cities in that range for downtown activity recovery, so makes sense. also I wonder if other downtowns like San Diego and Honolulu are from people vacationing while doing WFH a little on the side. we will never see that M-F hub of activity in downtowns anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Office workers don't have to be outside to make a big difference. Just to, lunch, and from is a lot, particularly since many people buy something on each of those occasions. If 5,000 people work in a building and 4,000 are on the sidewalks, with 2,000 at least buying coffee on a typical day, that's something. (I'm talking a downtown here, not the sort of place where 4,000 would drive.)

Even if they just get takeout lunches that's still supporting a business.
we recently had a department in-person meeting at my job at a coworking space in dtla. we all went out for lunch together, and man it was very weird for us to be the only group of people walking to a lunch spot. we weren't the only people out, but we stood out. rewind 3 1/2 years and we would have been one of several groups trying to grab a bite to eat. of course no wait time at the restaurant either during a prime lunch hour. honestly got kinda sad because the activity was cool, always something going on or to see, but it is what it is. I'll take the current setup.