View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Camden has come very far in the last 15 years and I think it will continue to grow as Philly gets more expensive. In my opinion, Chester will never take off. It's not close enough to Philly and has no economic opportunities. Camden has the waterfront, Cooper, Rutgers, Campbell's soup, 76ers, BB&T stadium, and a subway stop that gets you to Philly in 5 minutes (even quicker once Franklin Square reopens). It's also surrounded on all sides by pretty nice communities like Collingswood, Pennsauken and Oaklyn.
Chester has multiple train stations and is also surrounded by nice(r) communities.

It's abutted by Ridley Park, Wallingford, Swarthmore, Aston, Upper Chichester, and Trainer. With the exception of Trainer, these are all above average places to live. Certainly nicer than Pennsauken and Oaklyn.

Chester is so hollowed out at this point that it can really be reborn as anything. It's location is A+. I've always envisioned it becoming a sort of suburban corporate and logistics center. At some point, the airport will consume Tinicum (as it should) and spill over into Chester form the north.

From the south, I actually think the push will come from Delaware. Claymont is doing a lot of smart redevelopment along Rt 13. Homes are being renovated all over Claymont and the new-urbanist development that is happening there and on the old steel mill will for sure at some point spill over to the old Tri-State Mall. From there, it will leap frog into Marcus Hook and up into Chester.