View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 2:44 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to create a map showing all of the announced projects for the southern end of downtown - most of which have been posted in this thread. The concentration is insane and will be transformative for this part of the city, even if only a few of these happen.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 185713 by kratzrob, on Flickr

1) Studio Park project - 16-story addition to existing building with 189 units (under construction)

2) 12,000 seat amphitheater and 1750 apartments (the amphitheater seems like it will happen at some point)

3) Sligh Furniture building renovation (438 apartments, amended plan just got approved by the Planning Commission)

4) The McConnell (432 apartments, 10 story tower)

5) Wealthy and Sheldon Lofts (57 units)

6) Southgate Senior Living Center (56-unit building is done, set to open in 2023)

7) Mary Free Bed/Corewell Health Children's Rehabilitation Hospital (seems like a sure thing)

8) Trinity Health's proposal for a massive 9-story mixed use building (200 proposed units)

So, in all, there are 3122 proposed housing units within basically a 0.5 square mile area. Taking out the amphitheater project, it is 1372 units within about a 1/4 square mile area. As I said, if only a fraction of this comes to fruition it will still have a dramatic effect.
Thanks for putting this together. It is great to see GR's density spreading to the south (and for that matter, to the north and east as well). Although it is taking forever, I think the amphitheater will be a true catalyst of further development along the riverfront, south of downtown, once it is built. The cluster of #'s 4 (The McConnell), 5 (Wealthy and Sheldon Lofts), and 6 (Southgate Senior Living Center) is really changing the feel of that area. #7 is definitely going to happen too, further increasing the density and range of activities in the area.

Every once in a while, when it is a slow week, I think about making a real rundown for this thread, similar in style to the Kalamazoo or Northern Indiana rundowns, which I keep up-to-date. If I ever get around to it, Maybe DetroitSky or another mod could work their magic and bump it to the first post, similar to what was done for the Northern Indiana thread, started by another user. The second-largest city in the state deserves a full rundown. The OP for this thread hasn't been around in 8+ years, so someone else needs to take it over (in my opinion).