View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:09 AM

Found Images of the 1920s & 1930s, Start of the Modern Era

"Welcome to Modern Times"--Dowager Countess in Downton Abbey

*About this Blog*

I've always been fascinated by the 1920s and 1930s, especially in the cities. So much of our "modern era" started then. Our technology and communications, culture, fashion, sports and style, political movements, economic and financial practices, etc. Here is a thread to share found photos and videos from that era available on the internet (many posted on youtube) especially images of the lives of ordinary people. Spend some time in the 1920s and '30s, where so much began.

The first posts/videos will deal mostly with the 1920s. Later will tiptoe into the "Dirty '30s". The 1920s were like a wild party you don't want to leave. But the '30s were in many ways even more important, laying the foundation for the modern activist government and social welfare state, with the programs we either love or love to hate like social security.

All the videos and photos will be interesting first, and the best and most informative I could find on a subject ( e.g. the 1929 stock market crash, iconic "flappers", etc). Entertaining and informative I hope, boring hopefully never. I aim to bring the 1920s and 1930s alive again, to make you feel like you are there. The posts will veer over a wide variety of subjects. I have been a student of the 1920s & 1930s for decades, so I have found and continue to find the choice material I think. I will credit the sources always. I won't post everything at once, but will space it out from time to time as I find it, like a good movie serial. I will add good items to a posting topic as I find them. stir example, if I find a good video on Babe Ruth, or the 1929 stock crash, it will be added to that posting topic. If anybody finds interesting 1920s/1930s videos/photos on subjects of common entertainment and interest, feel free to post them. Hopefully this becomes a "go to" entertaining and informative blog for the two decades, sources properly credited.

If I find good videos to add to a topic, I will go back and add it to the original entry. This way everything for that topic will be in the single window.

This is my love story with the 1920s and my grim respect for the 1930s, opposite but paired decades that gave birth to the modern world. Will start with the '20s, and later move to the "Dirty Thirties". Will start my blog with what ended the "Roaring '20s", the "Great Crash" of 1929.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 19, 2022 at 6:04 AM.