View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That's why you don't raze the Coach building.

It might not be special and it might not be stunning but it is handsome and it gives an area a bit of "age" and contrast that an all shiny new, all glass area really needs to avoid becoming too sterile.

Well, there's the thing. Either you're going to create these large development sites to build on, or not. The other option, which I'm sure no one here wants, including myself, would be to bulldoze large swaths of already developed Midtown, and start fresh. They're not even talking about doing that with the midtown east rezoning. The Coach building is nothing landmark worthy, and frankly not too special to look at. I recall someone here mentioning that the McDonald's was somewhat special. I would agree more with that than I would the Coach building. Because that McDonalds is at least unique. That Coach building is hardly that. It's an old building that somehow doesn't look worthy of being in that class.

Now, I get that New York at its best is a mix of the old and the new. What they're building here is a new New York, centered along a grand new boulevard, sort of a new Park Avenue for this century. But if we wanted something to just look like the NY of an earlier era, I'm sure they could build something like that. But that would be so far against the point of building here.

Here, your Coach and McDonalds, in all their glory. Who knows how long they have left to be with us.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.