View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 11:09 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
There are rumours that FP Trust (Free Press) is an active takeover target. This can be nothing but great news. Weither its Thompson or Canwest the level of content will be greatly enhanced if a takeover were to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
It is very strange to think how far behind Winnipeg's printed media is compared to other cities across the nation. I mean there is a very good arguement that the Winnipeg Sun is the premier paper in the city. I know its not very good, but the Free Press is much worse in my eyes.

I'd take the Regina Leader Post way before the Winnipeg Free Press. The quanity and quality of the content is not even close. Of course Regina is about a quater of the size...

Its looking like a take over target.. and Canwest has always been interested in owning the hometown paper. It would definatly improve the city's printed media coverage by at least 10 to 20 times.

Imagine having a real paper.. one which actually reports 365 days a year. With.. you know real sections .. on local news, national news, world news, business news (local and national/international and quotes), sports (local and national/international) .. instead of a weak condenced summary of each as it has now. It makes me wonder whether Peggers know how much they are missing.
I don't know why you think that if Thompson Newspapers bought up the Free Press again, that doing so would magically transform the newspaper and double the number of content pages.

They owned it between 1980 (the day the Trib closed forever) and 2002 (during the True North arena sh1t -- they bought up the Eaton's building and eaton place that's why they were so rah-rah in favour of the Arena).

I would much rather prefer Canwest buy it up, since Canwest is more of a Canadian company than Thompson is.

But I do agree with you that they would make the paper a tad more contenty. I'd too would like to see a good Business section and an expanded Local News section. Leave the National and International stuff to the Globe and the Post.