View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2006, 9:29 PM
South Side Black Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
In the meantime, let's agree that its worth the time and money to be exploring everything to do with both projects, which thus far CTA is doing
Agreed

But let me say that my Wilson-to-Howard scenario wasn't quite meant to be a parallel analogy. It was meant to illustrate that having lots of cars in a community is not going to eliminate the need for public transit--especially with gas and downtown parking both unapologetic ripoffs now. Of course the stretch up there I speak of will have higher ridership--they're currently much denser areas with more people with reason to head downtown or somewhere. Helps tremendously that there are stops every two blocks as well. But while there are odds to overcome, these South Side communities I speak of are not "immune" (for lack of a better word) to densification in the future. Nor the need to be less car-reliant now. Can't see where a well-placed L route would be a detriment to that or anywhere else, is all I've been trying to say.

I too am much in favor of the Orange Line to Ford City. I wish it was there all along. I was in high school when it first opened, and I made many a trip from Whitney Young to Ford City via the Orange Line after school. I also used it when I was working in Lincoln Park and the Loop.

But I absolutely hated taking the bus from the airport terminal to the Ford City area, because the service was horrendous. Say what I want about the routes east of the Ryan, but that #54B Cicero might be the worst route I ever personally used with any sort of regularity. More likely than not I took one of the Pace routes that went that way; they seemed to run somewhat better. The L straight down to the mall would have saved me much much stress.

A Yellow Line extention has no bearing on me, but if it benefits you and your type up there then go for it.

To me the only dumb idea is stretching the Blue Line all the way out to Schaumburg. And that's because, as I've made so over-abundantly clear--too many areas in Chicago city limits are lacking L service to be giving the rich NW Cook 'burbanites some at this juncture.