View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think teachers are the only city employees that aren't bound by the requirement. Looking into the details, all city employees except teachers have to be NYC residents for the first two years of their employment, after which they are restricted to living in the 5 boroughs, on Long Island, or the counties of Westchester, Orange, or Putnam.
Eh, I have friends who work for a city agency, and they live in Fort Lee, NJ. Their boss lives in Princeton.

Pretty sure the rules are highly dependent on role, but there isn't any sort of residency requirement analogous to, say, Chicago. There is a 1980's-era ordinace that requires city residency for some classifications, but also the following:

"Section 12-120(b) provides that employees who have completed two continuous years of City service while maintaining residency in the City will remain in compliance with the residency law if they establish and maintain residency in Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Orange, Rockland or Putnam counties."

So if I'm reading this correctly, there are some jobs where you have to be a city resident for 21 months (90 days following hire date up to 2 years following hire date) but then you can live in the burbs, but only in NY State.