View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I get that this is the complaint, but I don't understand what they're "dealing with". I'm in Metro Detroit at least once every winter, and there's nothing to "deal with". All cars are fine in the snow nowadays. Sprawl neighborhoods are all attached garages, so no reason to even go out in the cold. No one walks anyways; it's all car-oriented, and every store, restaurant or service does curbside. Winters in the north can suck bc of the hermetic existence, but not really the snow/cold. Completely avoidable for most.

I get there are people like this, I just don't understand the why.

What is good for young families in a place with generally poor schools, minimal services and high crime? Rye is basically a dream locale for parents. Public schools are Ivy League factories, libraries and cultural centers and youth activities are ridiculously good. You can live on the beach, walk to an amusement park, and 30 minutes by train to the center of the world. The only negative is it's all very expensive.

And isn't the point of preferring warmth predicated on being outside? People in FL are generally inside, in AC. There's less streetlife in FL than almost anywhere in the U.S. Minneapolis (which, yeah, gets unusually cold) has more streetlife than anywhere in FL excepting a few blocks of South Beach. FL doesn't have a Coastal CA type climate, where you can eat dinner outdoors practically all year. There's buggy/rainy season half the year. It's almost always humid and windy. You can't even walk barefoot due to the fire ants and scorpions.

When I'm visiting boomer types in FL, the only outside time is at restaurants. That's basically it. There are almost no pedestrians.
This all comes down to you being out of touch with reality, that's why you don't understand it. There are tons of young, wealthy families all throughout FL, I certainly wouldn't move my family to FL for the reasons you describe, but I can at least understand the appeal. It's not like these families are eating dinner at 4pm at the local Denny's or wherever. 30A is very wealthy, and basically nothing but young families. Jacksonville area is similar. It's certainly not for everyone, but I do get the appeal.

You are also VASTLY under estimating how much of a change in life winter is in the midwest, especially if you have kids. People certainly deal with it, and many enjoy it, but it is certainly something to deal with. Again, you are living on a different planet from the rest of us.