View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:41 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
There is no way NYCT can maintain that kind of frequency with their staffing issues. Even pre-covid they couldn't do it. The only way would probably be to move to OPTO which the union has fought tooth and nail. Eventually though might not be a choice since they are really struggling to run adequate service for 3M ridership. If ridership returns to near pre-pandemic levels the crew shortage will be a full blown crisis.
Yep, I've already seen a couple of scheduled trains cancelled during the morning rush, likely due to staffing issues. At the moment, ridership is still fairly light compared with pre-pandemic levels, but heavier than levels during the summer due to in-person schools being in session.

My wish list goals for the subway:
- Modernize all signals ASAP. That should take precedence over everything else IMO. Doing this will allow more trains to run at any time at a reasonable speed (i.e. fewer trains crawling along from signal to signal during rush hours).

- Reduce existing bottlenecks through train tunnel geometry revisions. I doubt that this would be done due to many reasons (mostly financial).
> One example is the R/W trains running through the Financial District. Those modern train cars are crawling through those tight tunnel curves. Removing such bottlenecks would drastically increase potential service along the entire line. Perhaps making the train cars shorter can help?
> Another example is the Manhattan Bridge crossings. The F train cuts from BK to Manhattan quickly & seamlessly through a tunnel. The N/R/W/B/D trains crawl from Barclay's Center to the start of the Manhattan Bridge due to a clusterf*ck combination of bad track geometry and too many lines sharing two tracks.

- Improve outer-borough access without needing to go through Manhattan. There should be no reason for riders to go through Manhattan, when they are just looking to go from BK to Queens to Bronx.