View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
Would charging passengers more during peak hour help?
I doubt it. First thing, the mayor of Paris has largely reduced the number of lanes for cars in numerous avenues. As a result, Paris knows very strong traffic jams every day. This largely explains why the metro and RER have known a large passengers trafic growth in the last years. The truth is that it's not only Paris rails which are reaching saturation... it's the whole Paris transit system : cars, bus, RER, Metro, Suburban Trains, Light rail.

People need to go to work... and unless you enforce a law making people arrive at their job at different times (which is highly unrealistic to me), there will necessarily be a huge need at the same hours.

The funny thing is that the motorbikes traffic is growing fast. Indeed, in traffic jams motorbikes can move forward between car lanes. However, I've already seen once a motorbike traffic jams on the Paris périphérique. They generally ride between the two leftmost lanes, and they were so numerous that they were all stuck like the pityful cars around them. The traffic jam was the result of a car accident though.