View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 6:07 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

UPDATED 10:52 AM
Subway Service Restored Following UWS Water Main Break
By: NY1 News

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ter-main-break

Quote:
Subway service is back to normal following yesterday's massive water main break on the Upper West Side.

The break near Central Park West and 106th Street sent water gushing onto the subway lines underground.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority employees worked through the night to restore service on the A, B, C, and D lines in time for the morning rush.

Crews pumped thousands of gallons of water from the tracks and had to replace damaged signals.

Some commuters who spoke with NY1 this morning said they were hoping for a shorter trip compared to the evening rush.

"It took me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get home," said one straphanger. "Yeah, I'm glad, I got to work on time, its great.

"They say the service is back up now, I'm not sure how well it's running, but you know, that's the average anyway," said another.

Meantime, it could take several days for workers to replace the century-old water main and to repave the road.

Department of Environmental Protection officials say construction or temperature may have contributed to the break.

© 1999-2011 NY1 News and Time Warner Cable Inc. All Rights Reserved.