View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Okay....

Then go sic the demo team on 277 and 245, too. I mean it.
You should make a sign and go stand in front of those buildings and call for it then.

Meanwhile, there is a very specific a serious proposal to take this one down and replace it with a larger and modern office tower that can accommodate the bank's needs under one roof. And it will be in an area of Midtown that the city is desperately trying to hold as the number one business district in the city, even as it provides room for expansion elsewhere. With all of the improvements already coming to the area, thanks to One Vanderbilt (which is really the first tower to move forward under rezoning, just a technicality) and the Eastside Access of the LIRR make this the logical place to add density. I don't hate this building, but I think the improvements (in both the new building, and area) outweigh just trying to hold on to a building just because it's old. And it Chase had decided to refurbish the building again, it would likely get a new facade like some of the other buildings are doing now anyway, so it wouldn't even look like the same building, losing the point of trying to keep it.

They say this would kick off next year, so that means the approval process (a formality) would have to kick off this year to get things in place. I'm looking forward to learning and hearing more about this proposal as it moves forward.

In the meantime, some Google Earth images...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.