View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I would really like to see something like this for Portage Ave and Main Street. I don’t know how that would all come together at the intersection of P&M, but I think something like this would be a good way to help turn Portage and Main Street into desirable streets.
The challenge I see with curb side bike lanes at Portage and Main is the significant south to west and east to south traffic flows. That is going to create a high level of conflict between the different modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
If you live in west Winnipeg or south Winnipeg and never venture north you would be all for the opening as it wouldn't affect you!
The main challenges in terms of routes in Winnipeg are north-south and east-west. Southwest-northeast and southeast-northwest are the same sort of issue too. Notably southwest-northwest would be Sage Creek to the airport. These routes are especially problematic when a destination or origin is about a third or more of the travel distance inside the Perimeter as it makes the Perimeter option a lot less viable. I used to dread having to go from The Maples to my relatives in River Park South as there was simply no good route choice. The Maples to the area around Ikea was also absolutely dreadful. That said if Winnipeg ever gets a limited access and fully grade separated inner ring road network built it would definitely address a good chunk of that. CPT sure is nice when you are moving between the limited points it covers right now and having it go from SFX to Oakbank as an 80 km/h route with no stoplights would be a dream. Not that I go to either of those places but that route could easily shave off 50% or more of the time on current routes. Similar to how a proper limited access update to "Truth and Reconciliation Way" (aka Bishop) would serve the south side of the side say from Lorette to Oakbluff.

As for the traffic tunnel under Portage and Main, pushing something from the north-south Main St flow underground is definitely an idea to consider as part of a longer term plan to opening the intersection to pedestrians but that would require some significant cash be spent there.