View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:46 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Maybe these supertall condo towers are more a result of that lack of ambition and lack of aggressiveness than a result of being ambitious and aggressive. If the City was actually serious about high density and transit from the beginning, such extreme height would not be needed now to make up for so much low density built in the past.
I had no idea Eglinton was envisioned that way by the City. I suppose after that plan fell away, hey just expanded the roadways more and went ahead with various other projects like ensuring several roads coud serve to transport many cars at once (Mavis does a good job of that...and considering Mavis was only extended past Eglinton around 1990...I can only figure that was done to alleviate traffic pressures on NS streets in the future.

I do agree with your point. Mississauga's in some ways really following the path of Toronto (or I suppose they always have really...) with high density sites next to lowrise neighbourhoods, which at the time would've been quite new when many of the apartment buildings went up.

I think the city was just going with whatever developers planned in those days really. I do wish the city was more agressive with density in the last twenty years....there's been many new SFH built near Eglinton and Hurontario which is not much denser than anything built 30 or 40 years ago now. While I can praise the city for allowing placed like Meadowvale to develop, and include multiple housing types, I still wish they were more agressive to push density in newer subdivisions.