View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Minneapolis had what some say is the 2nd worst riots in US history last year, so not exactly this utopia where everything is great and fine and dandy, supposedly so unlike "Detroit".

Detroit didn't have any riots this last year, at all. So really everybody on both sides should keep the city's name out of their mouths and keyboards and quit these false comparisons made at the expense of a place they know nothing about.
Detroit has become a dog whistle. Some are trying to use Minneapolis or Portland in a similar fashion except instead of in Detroit’s case aka black and scary the more nuanced “out of control wokeness” or some shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
ESL, Gary and Flint actually suck, though.

I mean, no doubt they're full of nice people and they've been totally screwed by the feds and everyone else, and they do have potential, but I think it's fair to say that these are objectively unattractive places to live right now.

To me, it isn't crazy when someone is saying East St. Louis sucks, it's when they're saying one of our great American urban centers suck. Like when people say that Portland is a riot zone or Chicago a shooting gallery. And SF is apparently the worst city on earth.
I wouldn’t put Flint in the same category it has major issues of blight abandonment but there isn’t to the near wholesale level you’ll find in a Gary, East St. Louis or Highland Park. The difference is those rose to prominence partially as “industrial corporate tax havens” while that rode on the back of their larger urban counterparts.

The city developed independently with the independent institutions. The kind of institutions the knowledge economy is built on it’s not a resounding success story but able to to resurrect to the level of functioning city for the most part yes.

There’s at least a viable path and plan. Downtown was able to leverage The University of Michigan Flint, Kettering University & Hurley Medical Center to refill downtown with new lofts, apartments and renovated homes in Carriage Town. The Flint River is being naturalized with green space added and there’s a feasibility study on taking out 475 in the downtown area reconnecting it with east Village.

Last edited by Thirteen Mile; Apr 28, 2021 at 6:35 PM.