View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:28 PM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
I don't like the looks when they are looking at you while you're taking street pictures...not a tourism city? never saw tourists taking sight-seeing pictures? or just being hostile?
Absolutely not hostile. Might be wondering why on earth a tourist would take a photograph of that random street instead of more "beautiful" sights. People are just curious whenever they see a white person. Less so in big cities but still. That man may have said to himself something like "oh, a white man. We are not in Khau Galli though are we?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Very interesting. I like the looks of Mumbai better than Delhi, though I think visiting either would take me well outside of my comfort zone.
Most people think Delhi is oppressive. It surely is. It is a pretty conservative city, too. But it is also pretty lively and an experience in itself.

On a very personal note, Delhi will always have a special place in my heart, as it was the starting and end point of all of my three trips in India. On my very first day back in 2013, I was walking the tiny alleys of Pahar Ganj behind two young girls holding hands when a speeding motorbike turned the corner and came straight towards us. As my heart stopped awaiting the crash, the girls just parted on opposite sides of the alley to let the moto pass, avoiding getting hit before joining hands again as if nothing happened. I was stunned. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Perfect harmony. Functional chaos. Or perhaps I was a little too emotional and jetlagged

I had always anticipated Mumbai, thinking it was one of those superficial, soul-less modern cities without much history. How wrong was I! It kinda grew on me and I can definitely imagine prefering it to Delhi had it been the other way around!