View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
That's true throughout the US, not just in the case of New York. It is not simply that New York hasn't kept up, but rather that a nation that is fully hampered by a federal system that is the key component of making large-scale modernization of infrastructure possible. It's happening, but it's incremental... just as infrastructural development has occurred over comparably-sized regions (i.e., Europe) over time. And when the US matures enough in this area, the collective results will be innovative and best in the world... just like the universities are. Back to thread topic.
The US probably needs multiple New Deal solutions to catch-up to the level of infrastructure found across much of Europe. It isn’t even a case of building fast sparkly HSR networks, but the gulf when it comes to paved and well maintained roads, modern airports, dependable and prevalent train services, reliable electricity transmission, safe water supplies (e.g. Flint), etc…

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It is not more convenient to get from central London to Heathrow than it is to get from Midtown Manhattan to JFK. The entire premise to his argument is absurd, and I know because I have personally taken the trains to/from JFK, EWR, Heathrow, and Charles de Gaulle, many times.
In my previous post, I wasn’t confused due to a lack of knowledge on my part, but the absence of a coherent point from you. If two direct rail lines (one of which is being upgraded (Crossrail) and a third proposed) versus zero, accommodative rolling stock, quicker journey times, and a far higher transit mode share, is somehow indicative of not being ”more convenient”; I’m not sure how you define convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and it just picking up talking points he's read online about lack of rail connectivity to LGA and attributing it to JFK and EWR.
Anyone with competent mental faculties wouldn’t make this comment having quoted me saying the opposite literally three days ago (post 222).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
and also -- like it really matters if you have to take airport rail transit to your terminal from another terminal, a parking lot or a transit station.
With the boom in global aviation and the subsequent demand to move large volumes of people between airports and city centres, direct rail links have come to be viewed as the most efficient method to meet this goal. A more prominent environmental agenda only adds to the momentum. Heathrow as an example has a target of attaining a 50% public transport share by 2030; which would be entirely improbable without direct rail links to Central London. Ironically coming back to the conversation around universities, a proposed tunnel from Heathrow could enable direct services to Oxford.