View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Digging a hole to China? Besides being impossible, it is impractical given the antipodes, unless you happen to be in Argentina.

wikipedia

I once gave a speech in Perth (Australia) on green consumer behavior. I had flown there from Montreal, and I had stated at the beginning of my speech that the farthest possible point I could fly to (commercially, and of course with connecting flights) from Montreal was, in fact, Perth Australia. The topic of my speech was ironic given how much energy it had taken to transport me to the nearest antipodal big city).

Approximately 15% of land territory is antipodal to other land, representing approximately 4.4% of Earth's surface.

There are no non-stop scheduled flights between any two antipodal locations by commercial airline service. There is currently no commercial aircraft capable of travelling between antipodes at full load non-stop⁠—⁠the current world record holder Boeing 777-200LR's maximum range is rated at 17,395 km (10,809 mi), or roughly 87% of an average antipodal distance.

-wikipedia