View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:18 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
The Science Center has been starting a new building every 18 to 24 months, along with non-SC buildings. Presently the apartment complex on Powelton Ave, the nursing school from Drexel and the new K-8th public school have all been announced. Plus it sounds like the next lab type building has been designed to some degree. All this is to say if Meds and Ed stays hot the build out might not take 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Penn Presyb. is a prime tenant of another building (which would also mean more parking since Penn is committed to the car), throw in the hotel if that ever happens and the space left to build on isn't much.
1. Keep in mind that the Science Center has five parcels on the ex-Uni City High site available, as well as 3400 and 3800 Market (both of which are much further advanced in design).

2. Also keep in mind the Science Center doesn't seem to have a bigger pipeline than one building at a time, for whatever reason. They've built three buildings (3737 Market, 3601 Market, and 3675 Market) since I started following development news about 12 years ago, so we're talking about 48 months on average per building.

3. A 48 mo. cycle * 7 building sites = 336 mos. or (/12) a whopping 28 years until the current land bank is exhausted.

4. 2/3 of the projects you mentioned (i.e. the school and Drexel's nursing thing) are part of the noticeably-more-aggressive Drexel pipeline and separate from the Science Center's pipeline. In any event, Drexel controls that triangular site by 38th and Warren.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)