View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2010, 6:18 PM

Love the fact that the state may get smarter bout the land use around the Capitol. We need more housing in the area.

One of the good things about the possibility of this actually happening at some point is that one of the people steering this effort, Terry Keel lives in the area..... Cambridge Tower. That is not an endorsement of his politics.... but he not only live downtown, but in the Cap Complex area... so he may better understand the potential and needs of the area. Lets hope.

I am really happy to see the discussion of Affordable housing in the uptown area. Is it perfect for it. There are truly sooo many state and University employees that would live in the area. (Many Profs, lobbyist and other state folks live in Cambridge.)

I have to do a big, potentially unpopular, however.

As far as students go... a fair # of students live in many downtown buildings as it is.... but, I would not want to see a higher concentration. Sorry,I am sure his will not set well with all, but i live in a downtown building with a small student population. A few is fine, but when an area turns predominately student it pushes up the transient factor ( as in mobility of resident, not street people) and makes for a higher percentage of less conscience neighbors. .... at least in the undergrad population. Both make for a less stable neighborhood. AND what we are wanting is a neighborhood.! And, the more a building is perceived as student housing, the less likely professionals and families ( including the ones with children) will move in.... affecting value. Gotta be aware of that.