View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I agree with everything you said, but this. There are still A LOT of intact blocks throughout North St. Louis. Most of the extreme blight is mostly concentrated on the near northside. Even some of the areas that have blight commercial corridors, still have relatively intact residential blocks. What sucks the most is when people make blanket statements about communities and people they don't even know. Like people will say stupid stuff like blow up the Southside of Chicago, not realizing that there are people that love their communities, warts and all, and will never relocate. The idea that St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc. will ever go to zero population is absolute nonsense. When I lived in St. Louis, I knew people from the wealthiest areas in the region to the poorest and in most of them were good people and wanted the same thing.
You're right. I said North St. Louis when what I meant was the general Jeff-Vander-Lou area. It's not devoid of life, certainly, and never will be, but the other part of what I was getting at is that its rejuvenation will require a lot of infill that I have to imagine will resemble areas like The Gate, Carr Square, or the southwest part of Forest Park Southeast more than what was built in the neighborhood originally.