View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Hmm, I think you have your location or years wrong.

I don't think there was any period in modern history where the Madison Square Park area was vacant. Certainly not in 2000, when it was pretty fancy.

It was probably semi-grimy in the 1970's and 80's, but no way in 2000. And never vacant. My first job out of college was at 11 Madison, which is right on the park. It was a very nice area in 2000, with big corporate tenants in the neighborhood, including one of the world's largest investment banks.

Very good neighborhood restaurant scene, actually better than now. Eleven Madison Park and Tabla, two of the most renowned restaurants in the world, were right on the park. Neighborhood residences were extremely expensive, and only affordable to higher-ups.

The Flatiron Building wasn't vacant. I passed by it every day. It had normal upscale Manhattan retail. Some British makeup store. Jo Malone, I think?
I forgot that Charles Schwab was over there. Wasn't there another bank over there too? I'm rarely on the east side of Madison Square Park anymore so I forgot what all used to be over there.

Edit: Just saw your reply above. I was thinking of Credit Suisse.