View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 7:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I just suggest you go look at what it would take to buy a house in any of those areas--as compared to the national average home price in the mid $200K range. This reminds me of a medical conference I once went to and listened while a moderator told some of the out-of-town attendees how to get to Alamo Square to see the "painted ladies". Then he warned them this was a "bad neighborhood'. How bad can a neighborhood be where houses cost 7 figures?

Ahem, I did NOT say that house prices are low in these areas, I am saying they are low INCOME. You actually think that the people living in these areas are making $100k + to be able to afford their homes? They are given subsidies, rent checks, and other freebies so that they can stay in these areas (which I feel doesn't help their situations).

And yes, Alamo square is a bad area if you consider a bad area one that has a lot more crime than other parts of the city. You can't just conclude that the entire city of San Francisco is immune from social problems and "bad areas" because houses here cost $800,000+ a pop. Most other parts of the country where houses cost $200,000 and $300,000 are a lot more safe than here, so does that make SF neighbhoods inherently better areas because the cost of living is higher?

NEWayz back on topic... are there any guestimates as to what these units (affordable ones) will cost? Are there going to be rentables only or are they all going to be for sale?

Last edited by tyler82; Apr 18, 2007 at 8:15 PM.