View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
You guys wouldn't consider BayView Hunter's Point, parts of Western Addition, Outer Mission, Ingleside low income areas? Wow, you guys really need to get out more :-)
I just suggest you go look at what it would take to buy a house in any of those areas--as compared to the national average home price in the mid $200K range. This reminds me of a medical conference I once went to and listened while a moderator told some of the out-of-town attendees how to get to Alamo Square to see the "painted ladies". Then he warned them this was a "bad neighborhood'. How bad can a neighborhood be where houses cost 7 figures?

Quote:
It seems that whenver I read about these new great properties going up, , the developers are talking about building the required portion of affordable units in projects in Hunter's Point etc. where there is still land available cheaply (cheaper, that is) than having it incorporated into their own buildings. It's sheer snobbery , and I think that the laws should be changed to force the affordable units inside the properties they are building, after all, most of SF citizens make the "average" amount of income and make this city the great city that it is by actually giving it life (as opposed to sitting our fat asses on large amounts of unused money), so why should we have to be pushed aside into the crime ridden areas of the city just because we don't make a bijillion dollars.
I disagree. With rental housing you can make a better case--and Trinity will be rental and the "affordable" units will be on site. But with condos there was an article a few months back that I posted about the problems encountered by moderate income people living in on-site "affordable" units. For one thing, they still have to pay HOA assessments like anyone else and often they can't afford either the beginning assessments or the inevitable increases. And if their richer neighbors decide to do a special assessment for some new amenity, they are often in trouble--can't afford it, can't pay it. At best it causes hard feeling and strife with the neighbors. At worst, their property gets liened for non-payment of the assessments and eventually they have to sell.

I think in the long run, it's better when people are living in a building with people of similar means where they can anticipate the other residents will have the same concerns about spending money and assessment issues.