View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:40 PM

New Planning Commission presentation up for 9/24. Only two new items on the agenda for next week:

1. A historic nomination of the U.S. Post Office/Courthouse building at 700 Grant Street. I'm honestly surprised it wasn't already a landmark. I don't think it's really in any substantive danger, but it's good that it's being nominated.

2. A renovation of one of the mid-sized historic buildings in the Cultural District - 909 Liberty Avenue. This five-story building is probably best known downtown for being the former location of an army navy store, which has closed. The project has earlier been before the HRC, at which time I believe the plan was for office space above. It has now shifted to being residential on the four upper floors. No information is given regarding unit count, however, more detailed renderings of the proposed new entryway are shown. There would now be a residential entryway and stairwell access on the left side of the building, with a smaller commercial area on the first floor which had access via the right door. They also plan to install an elevator for the residential tenants.

I should also note the demolition plan for the "Duff's building" downtown has reappeared. Demolition of this (vacant) building is apparently essential in order to provide a staging area for the new parking garage on the block. There's an interesting "parcel plan" on one slide. As with past designs, the Parking Authority/Cultural Trust are keeping the Penn Avenue side of the block undeveloped to allow for infill. However, they also appear to be both suggesting a new public square at Penn and Eighth, along with the eventual redevelopment of the existing "Magnolia installation" at Penn and 7th. It's long been surmised that this use is a holding pattern by the Trust, as they haven't been able to buy out two buildings on the block, and this map makes it very likely that is the case.

Also, the October HRC is now online. It's a relatively short presentation - only six items. There is one substantive one however, the exterior preservation plan for the Larimer School rehabilitation. They have their work cut out for them, given the significant historic detailing and the level of decay that took place in the building, but at least there really isn't any remuddling to undo.