View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Toronto (north), Chicago (north), St. Louis (west) and Washington DC (west/northwest) are good examples of cities with an affluent corridor running straight of the core and into the suburbs.
Though I would say that St. Louis and Chicago are a bit different from Toronto and DC.

Toronto and DC are a solid, unbroken, corridor of regionally dominant wealth.

Chicago has a sizable gap, as the far North Side (Rogers Park and Uptown) certainly aren't wealthy or desirable. I would say that the most "prime" parts of Chicago's Northside end around Belmont Ave., and the less prime, but still desirable parts end around Irving Park Rd. North of there, to the city line, is kind of scattershot nice/not nice.

Also, South Evanston isn't really that desirable. Parts are semi-rough. It's more a Loop-to-Lakeview wealth corridor, then a pretty big gap, then North Evanston north to Lake Forest. In Toronto, there's no section along Yonge considered rough or even less-than-prime.

Also, in Chicago, there's a second, lesser wealth-corridor to the west, around Hinsdale-Western Springs, out to maybe Naperville. Places like Hinsdale are almost as expensive/desirable as North Shore suburbs. Toronto doesn't really have a worthy competitor to the Yonge corridor (I know there are some other pockets of regional wealth but nothing comparable).

And St. Louis, too, has a pretty big gap. I don't think the neighborhoods between Downtown and Central West End are all that wealthy/desirable. In that respect, St. Louis might be closer to a Detroit-style regional wealth arrangement, except the nice parts start within city limits.