View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I never thought of this, but you're right. It's definitely true in Paris, Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne, Munich, Budapest.

Frankfurt and Rome are north, though. I think Madrid too. There are probably some other exceptions.
Frankfurt and Rome aren't really big industrial cities, so perhaps that rule doesn't apply. Although north is also upriver in Rome, so perhaps that meant cleaner water at one point (Paris and Berlin are opposite, though).

Madrid is a bit strange. Yes, you have the wealthier residential areas to the north (beginning with Salamanca). But the palace is west, and then Casa de Campo beyond that prevented urban development from going that way. If you say that the center is Retiro park, rather than Plaza Mayor (there's so much sprawl to the east that Centro is not the geographic center), then it's more north-northwest that's the favored quarter.

I'm curious about Denver and Boulder. Does the prevailing wind come up from the south due to the Front Range? I'd expect the west sides to be favored because of the mountain views.

edit: just saw Cirrus' reply. That all makes sense (especially with respect to Boulder).