View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 1:31 AM

WTC as a Complex

I'm not the most active user on SSP, but I've read many of the threads on here, and it seems like the WTC site is the one that users are most interested in (outside of what seem like semi-silly debates about changing the layout of the site). I'm kind of interested in how people envision the site not just in terms of how the buildings look under construction or their projected height and progress, but as far as the meaning of each one as part of what would be an active complex, their separate meaning as individual buildings and how the different buildings will ideally fit together because of that.

I know the focus here is mostly on the architectural design and how that fits into a city landscape, but I guess I wonder what people take out of the site as far as dynamic between the construction projects, or what people look for when studying the buildings as unique entities within a multi-building site. What having this eight-building complex (or seven, depending on if WTC 5 happens) in this location, will mean to New York, and how it should be seen to those who are not quite there.

Hope this isn't too vague of a topic, but it would be interesting to hear opinions on that, since there's so much discussion of the construction itself.