View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 7:56 AM
video et taceo

I would distinguish some of those. The UK and parts of Benelux are something different, with a focus on rowhouses on narrow lots versus the courtyard apartment buildings favoured in Germany, the Nordics and the Austro-Hungarian cities. France, like you said, points more towards Italy than the other Northern countries.

Copenhagen and Stockholm are interesting in the sense that they were both very small and restricted by walls/water for most of their history. In the second half of the 19th century, though, they both saw a huge wave of speculative building in the Viennese courtyard-block style that occurred all at once as restrictions on land outside the old cores were lifted.

It really only lasted about twice as long as the current Toronto condo boom, despite these areas now being seen as bastions of "traditional", "historical" buildings.

In both cities, but moreso in Stockholm due to the geography, this "European" style ends very abruptly, transitioning into single-family homes on fairly large, irregular lots. Swedish people have come to call the inner-city, Viennese-style quarters "stenstad" or "stone town". I think this usage representing something distinct or noteworthy reflects the very sudden historical shift that created these places.

Both of the big Nordic cities actually have pretty extensive 19th-century cores for their size. They are some of the larger cities of this type not to have been touched by WW2 bombings. They are not dense from a statistical perspective, though, because household sizes are so small. I think Sweden is the country with the highest percentage of one-person households in the world.