View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 5:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post

Back to the question of Cleveland's rail transit system, I've always thought it was fairly impressive given the size of the metro and the extent to which the core has hollowed out.
Overall, yes, Cleveland has more rail transit infrastructure than your typical medium size Midwest city. My only beef was with the characterization of Cleveland's heavy rail red line being "first rate".

A "first rate" intracity heavy rail rapid transit line does not have over 80% of its stations oriented to park n' ride lots and/or located in peripheral light industrial no-man's lands.

I agree with Crawford that a big piece of the equation in Cleveland's extremely low rail transit usage is middle America's aversion to public transit in general.

BUT I also maintain that the red line's relatively poor design/layout/neighborhood integration/function is another contributing factor.

I very highly doubt that any transit nerds, other than Crawford apparently, would deem it "first rate".