View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 11:19 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Do we think the north river tunnels are going to last until 2043 without major rehabilitations? I sincerely doubt it.

I'd like some entity to deign an explanation or two about how the new capacity will be used exactly. How much more Amtrak service and to where, how much more NJT service and to where. What rolling stock are you buying to facilitate that and where is the $ coming from. In light of LIRR spending an absolute fortune for basically no new service these are not unreasonable questions.

If there was some precedent for this in the NY area in similar projects I might entertain the possibility. The opposite is very much true unfortunately.

This thing is now expensive way way beyond any comparable project on the planet and I have not heard a good explanation as to why which doesn't lead me to believe taxpayers are being taken for a massive ride by all involved.

still, the people want it to go forward asap:

Despite the soaring costs, regional transit advocates and politicians still call Gateway one of the most important transit projects in the country.

“Swallowing our lumps now will lead to a project completion without major cost or time overruns,” said Felicia Park-Rogers, director of regional infrastructure projects at Tri-State Transportation Campaign. “This project remains vital to our regional and national economies and transportation networks.”

https://gothamist.com/news/hudson-ri...-further-delay