View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:30 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Nail meet head

As a sort of related note, I want the City of New York to develop a program through the DOB to help building owners citywide obtain extreme low interest loans and maybe even split direct grant assistance to not only repair deteriorating brick and façade work but to also preserve existing and RESTORE missing cornices on all types of buildings citywide. The technology now exists to create historical cornices out of inexpensive impervious lightweight foam and this would go so far in improving the architecture of so many mutilated buildings.
Amen. Brooklyn would look like a billion bucks with its cornices restored. It never ceases to amaze me what some of these landlords will do. I used to live in a beautifully renovated apartment in Park Slope, brand new kitchen, bathroom, the works. But to achieve this the landlord moved the entrance and stairway, bricked up redundant windows and the former door with cmu, and then never painted any of it on the outside. The place looks f'ing abandoned, no idea how the guy gets away with it. I had to put up a street number bc he never bothered. This building is, it goes without saying, missing its cornice. If it wasn't going to profit him, he wasn't going to do it. Have some pride, people!

I am now a new homeowner on a rare block where every cornice is intact, it is heaven and one of the reasons we finally decided to buy. Who wants to plunk down that kind of money when the neighbors make your block look like the South Bronx in the 80's?