View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:11 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
In your opinion, in what ways are STL and New Orleans more similar to cities in the east? I think I agree with you, especially when it comes to STL, but am curious to see your reasoning for this statement.

If we're just talking in terms of east and west (no midwest distinction), I think Kansas City could be argued to be the last eastern city. It's still pretty green and has lots of old brick building stock. It definitely has western influences, but I think you really start to feel like you've left the east behind when you get just west of KC and into the relentlessly flat and golden/brown Kansas prairies.

NOLA feels distinct from any other part of the US, though. I don't think it feels particularly eastern or western. It's walkable and historic, but so is San Francisco, and no one is calling that eastern. It looks and feels very unique, imo, whereas St. Louis feels pretty similar to Cincinnati, parts of Chicago...points east and north of it.
Not to speak out of turn but the argument for StL has always been the large amount of zero lot line construction (so far west) e. g. rowhouses - obviously used to be a lot more. St. Louis does weirdly have similar feels to Baltimore specifically…which also has some similarities to New Orleans making a weird lost triangle of its own.