View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A few new zoning applications:

1) Proposal to replace this 1 story building + parking lot at 1848-1858 S Racine (near 18th Street) in Pilsen with a 5 story, 37 unit building with 31 parking spaces. Max height of 58 feet.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-87.6566687
This was a building proposed by The Resurrection Project. It's 100% affordable housing, but the neighbors said it "looked like gentrification" so they came out in force against it. Then the developer chopped a floor off and switched from black to red brick, and nobody was really any happier...

I guess they'd be fine if the developer planned to build 4 3-flats, but then we'd only get 12 units of affordable housing instead of 37, and no elevator to make it easier for disabled people and seniors. I wish our leaders were honest with the community about the trade-offs in any development project, and the need to grow the housing supply, instead of selling the fiction that there's a "magic bullet" to gentrification that will keep everybody in their apartments forever with perfect maintenance and no rent increases. No alderman is really great at explaining these trade-offs, but Pawar did a decent job when he was alderman.

Supposedly the developer is teaming up with Skender to do this with modular construction, but I'll believe it when I see it. More likely it ends up being conventional construction.